Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

On Jan 23, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

Hi Les,
Not an answer to your query but just saying welcome to the Medium Wave Circle. Caught your name in magazine, which I knew from IRCA. Now you pop up here too. Small world, made smaller by radio 😊.
Cheers
Tom G6PZZ

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Les Rayburn
Sent: 23 January 2020 19:41
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 2019 Shootout?

Spent some time today digging through the files for this group--and found the enthusiasm for MW DXing with Ultralights to be contagious. I've been a member of this group from afar for years, and own
several of the Ultralight approved radios. But honestly, I always thought "Nice for travel but no way these things compare to my SDR's and large antennas back home." But reading through the articles today makes me think that I am very wrong.

Time to get serious about these little gems!

Right now, my inventory includes a CC Crane Skywave (Original model, non-SSB), Sony SRF-T615, Sony SRF-59, Tecsun PL-310, and a few others. Spent time looking for recent shootouts to see which models were the best performers currently available, but can't find anything recent.

Is there a recent shootout available somewhere? Is there a consensus on which models are the best for MW DXing? My main interest is in domestic stations. I'm five hours from the nearest beach, so TA and TP are not a high priority.

It's clear that the URL guys are having fun with MW DXing--and that is why I got into this hobby. To have fun. Keep it up!

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Birmingham, AL