Re: New style FSL Part 2

Gary DeBock

Hello Dean (and Bill),

Thanks for your interesting experimental contribution, Dean, which certainly breaks new ground in FSL antenna design.

As a veteran of multiple FSL design controversies after Graham Maynard introduced his breakthrough "ferrite sleeve antenna" in February of 2011 (for which he was relentlessly slammed by antenna "experts" at the time) the best advice I can give is to be respectful of other's experimental efforts, and keep an open mind about new design directions until you personally test them out. In my own efforts I concentrate on direct A/B testing of different FSL designs and construction components, using actual weak signal reception tests under controlled conditions. FSL antennas developed under such a concept have the potential to be astonishing performers for their size.

Another important factor in FSL antenna design is to have a definite mission for the antenna you are creating. An FSL designed to provide massive gain while surviving gale storms at an ocean side cliff will have a different design than a lightweight "airport friendly" model built to provide gain boosts on exotic salt water beaches. Of course, theory-based antennas simply designed for maximum "Q" in a shack can use flimsy components and frame designs that wouldn't survive a single session out in adverse weather, but if that is the designer's goal for the antenna, who am I to criticize it? My own opinion is that every antenna needs a definite mission before construction starts-- not only as a way to focus on design objectives, but also as a guideline for success or failure. You need a definite destination before you can have any hope of making a successful trip!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)