Re: New style of FSL........I think ?

Tony Magon

Thanks Dean

Yes I would think that would be the first time ferrite has been in a loop this way

I do have a loop that I bought years ago that was made up in a basketweave style

It looks it was made up in a jig then fishing line was threaded through where the small sticks were to keep it all together - it used normal enameled wire. - Think it was about 9 inches diameter or thereabouts

I think the sticks on the jig were probably small skewers. Was modifying the amp that was originally in it - It is down in the garage somewhere - It worked very well.

Yes noise in the house is always a problem and Sydney - Australia is not a good location

Regards

Tony VK2IC

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:04 PM Dean wayman <dx_plains@...> wrote:
A little more info:

Spider weave coils or basket weave coils are very high Q that's why the crystal set radio builders use them .Combine a high Q tuning cap (ceramic insulators) and this loop has very sharp tuning ,enough so that even at BFO setting like in LW you get a very crisp tune .

Also the basket weave coils have very little distributed capacitance ,some thing that has been talked about a lot when the first FSL builders were tweaking their designs.

Used inside most houses this loop suffers from noise as any very sensitive antenna does ,as far as i know nothing can be done about that ATM.

Dean