Re: Cruise ship dxing

kevin asato <kc6pob@...>

Cruise ships are probably much noisier now since 2013 as more and more of them are deploying cellular and wifi services on board. I have trouble listening to local AM on land at times as many of my work areas involve communication sites including cellular equipment..
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 6:59:29 PM PST, Deron Thomas Lundy <deron.lundy@...> wrote:

I have done a little bit of cruise ship DX’ing, too.  I have mostly used my Sony 7600GR with the whip antenna. Anything with good reception from just the built-in antenna should work well on a ship. Good headphones are a must, and I have brought my Sony MDR-7506 cans with me.

I actually have had good experiences listening on board. Looking over a log I made on a cruise in 2013, I managed to catch a few countries that were new to me, and it looked like Middle Eastern stations were coming in very well on that trip! I thought that interference was definitely better than it is in the built-up suburban areas I have lived. One disappointment is with MW and LW listening. I have never caught any MW stations of note, and I have not heard any LW broadcast stations.

Most of my listening has been done in a lounge chair on deck somewhere, on the balcony, or even while relaxing on a beach reading a book. I don’t have the chance to either read for fun or SWL’ing much, so they are both great ways for me to relax on vacation!!

Deron, K8OSU

--
Dr. Deron Thomas Lundy, PharmD, MS, BCCCP
deron.lundy@..., lundy.13@...