Re: Group Stats / Future Plans

Gary DeBock

Hi Todd,

<<<   When creating a new groups.io group, there is the option of displaying all messages and content to anyone on the Internet. Even non-members can read posts. Does this create a potential problem with spam? If spammers have access to individual e-mail addresses in message posts, they could record this for later use. Has anyone had issues with increased spam associated with full public access DX discussion groups such as ultralightdx.groups.io?
   >>>

To my knowledge there haven't been any issues with spam postings to our new Groups.io site, although the previous Yahoo group site did have quite a few spam messages (which the Moderators quickly deleted, before they were widely viewed).

Groups.io has a requirement that initial messages from a new member must be approved by a Moderator before they can be posted-- a requirement that is actually a pretty good "spam filter." Any spammer that attempts to post on a Groups.io site would probably be given the boot by the Moderator before their spam message would ever be posted, and seen. As such, Groups.io sites are relatively spam-free.

As for a spammer using a list of email addresses to send out their spam, there isn't much of a defense against this. Spam emails are pervasive, but once you get a spam message you can always mark it as such, after which your spam filter should kick in and delete all such messages from the same sender in the future.   

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Oct 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Group Stats / Future Plans

Hi Gary,

With the demise of Yahoo Groups scheduled for Dec 14, 2019, I have the responsibility of transferring the ICDX, and ICDX Australia AM/FM/TV DX groups to the groups.io website.

I was automatically invited and transferred from the former Ultralight Radio Yahoo group. I didn't even need a password.

When creating a new groups.io group, there is the option of displaying all messages and content to anyone on the Internet. Even non-members can read posts. Does this create a potential problem with spam? If spammers have access to individual e-mail addresses in message posts, they could record this for later use. Has anyone had issues with increased spam associated with full public access DX discussion groups such as ultralightdx.groups.io?

If so, I may elect to create new groups as hidden from general public view, i.e. only members can view postings.

I gather the message posts and files transfer from Yahoo Groups was easy enough.

Regards,

Todd

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.