Re: Innovative Ferrite Antennas Article

Stephen P. McGreevy

Oh yes, regarding flat-land/fertile soil DXing locations, during a long road trip and DXpedition I made to Manitoba, Canada - and all the way back westward to BC in September 1993, I rolled out a few end-fed wires in remote farm-fields where I could park for the night in my camper-van, and I was astounded at the strength and numbers of hets from the 9 kHz "splits" and caught some audio from a few DU stations too.  Also, in the evenings, some TA signals on MW and LW were audible with fair signals (the usual big TA sigs) - the 198 BBC signal was a telltale "wavery-carrier" (their phase-shift carrier time signal) and would appear by sunset.  I knew this all was due to the very flat-land terrain (low-angle skip!) and high-conductivity soil to boot.

In August 1996 from west-central Manitoba, during a combined "Natural ELF-VLF radio" recording expedition and LF-HF DXpedition, I rolled out a long, maybe about 1200-foot long "Beverage" wire pointed north-east (very arduous to do so in the thickly treed and boggy land there near Grass River Provincial Park but I could get it elevated a bit off the ground), and the TA's blasted in nightly, especially one evening - 30 August 1996, when the auroral-oval had "retreated" far southward, leaving TAs skipping into the "hole" of the oval thus the strong receptions.  The proximity to Hudson Bay and also the very flat terrain there made it somewhat like being by the seashore!

73 - Steve