April 2019 Hong Kong Ultralight DXpedition Article

Gary DeBock

     Hong Kong has been in the news a lot recently, but for me the major excitement happened in April, as I decided to accompany my Hong Kong Chinese wife to one of the toughest DXpedition venues on the entire planet. Hong Kong has a well-deserved reputation of being a DXing wasteland, with an overload of Chinese pest stations, overcrowded public beaches, prolific RFI and the most skyscrapers and high rise buildings to be found anywhere.
     Ultralight radios and portable antennas have one key advantage in such a tough venue, however-- they can go practically anywhere, and track down exciting DX in the most unusual and bizarre locations. For me, this meant setting up on a polluted waterfront beach in the gambling enclave of Macau, on an awesome plunging cliff at the southeastern tip of Hong Kong island, on a wild waterfront beach with multiple Chinese spectators, and by shoving a souped-up Ultralight radio outside the security window on the 12th floor of a downtown high rise apartment building. These wild and wacky locations were the key to tracking down a diverse haul of 103 DX stations, including several from eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East, as well as many exotic Southeast Asian stations. For those interested, a full 19-page article with multiple photos, narrative and 120 DX MP3 recording links is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/85pzdmvuzgzi2rwsghqubyxvi5rwj9t0

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA, but shifting to the "Cliffhanger" mode next week)