Re: New Design 3 Inch Baby FSL Antenna Demo Video

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 06:50 AM, Gord Seifert wrote:
  Gary, you are pretty much THE authority on these antennas, maybe you should offer the seller of the 1200 strand wire the opportunity to submit a sample roll for your evaluation. If it actually works better than what you have been using, your endorsement would certainly mean more business for that seller. Also, if the seller of the wire you have been using is a friend, you might suggest that he consider selling shorter lengths. He might actually sell more and would likely sell it at a bit more per foot in shorter lengths as well.
Thanks Gord,

I can certainly understand why an experimenter would be reluctant to order more Litz wire than necessary to build a single FSL, especially when it costs about $1 a foot. Since I have a very long term business relationship and friendship with Ming Mak (MkMak222 on eBay), though, I'm not really interested in assisting somebody else to compete with him.

A way to make the 100 foot 1162/46 Litz wire purchase requirement a little easier would be to sell the excess Litz wire to other experimenters, after the purchase. Be careful when you do this, though, because a single FSL loop requires about 33 feet of the 1162/46 Litz wire, and if you waste Litz wire in your construction you will find yourself without enough Litz wire to make two additional loops.

Experimenters should keep in mind that 1162/46 Litz wire is premium, highest-sensitivity material, and should be reserved for uncompromising, top-of-the-line FSL antenna projects. In combination with the "384P" variable cap it will give you amazing performance, but you will pay the price for this advantage. You will also need a 50 watt (or larger) soldering iron to properly install such large diameter Litz wire-- something that most hobbyists don't have. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives out there for someone who wants to stay within a budget..

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)