Re: 7.5 inch Amidon Loopstick Vs. 200mm R40C1 Loopstick

Vimal

Please keep up the good work Gary :)

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 5:16 AM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Vimal,

<<<    My two Cents...
I have listened to all four recordings,
and though noise floor seems to me as equal,but voice appears to be a bit better in last 15 seconds,i.e. with Ni-Zn ferrite.
Vimal Oberoi 
Bikaner 
Rajasthan,India   >>>

Thanks for your assessment, Vimal.

Your comments are very close to my own judgement. Both loopsticks provide a huge boost in sensitivity compared to the stock XHDATA loopstick, but the new Nickel-Zinc 200mm rod loopstick does have a slight edge in S/N ratio over the Amidon loopstick. Despite this, the performance of the two loopsticks is so close that it would be a mistake to replace an Amidon loopstick with a R40C1 loopstick, and I plan to continue using both types of loopsticks in ocean beach transoceanic DXing (including trying for India, after receiving 657-AIR, 927-AIR and 954-AIR in Hawaii and the Cook islands last year :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@ultralightdx.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Feb 18, 2019 4:12 am
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 7.5 inch Amidon Loopstick Vs. 200mm R40C1 Loopstick

Hi
My two Cents...
I have listened to all four recordings,
and though noise floor seems to me as equal,but voice appears to be a bit better in last 15 seconds,i.e. with Ni-Zn ferrite.
Vimal Oberoi 
Bikaner 
Rajasthan,India 

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM blumu via Groups.Io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I can't locate a UK supplier, only US. Apart from shipping cost,
I would fear breakage en route from the US :-)

Michael UK
>
> Recently a new type of ferrite material has been introduced the honest
> and reliable eBay seller "Mkmak22," though, which is made with a new
> nickel-zinc combination. The Ebay listing for these new R40C1 ferrite
> rods includes some pretty dramatic performance claims (at
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/NiZn-Ferrite-Rod-R40C1-200x10mm-for-High-Q-Amateur-Crystal-Radio-Coils-AM-SW/151884949745?hash=item235d0c68f1:g:3QMAAOSwNSxU-kHM:sc:USPSFirstClass!98371!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.