From: gary_thorburn <gwt@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Sony SRF-59

I have a tuning and antenna mod for a SRF-59 as well, I may have posted this long ago.  Not nearly as elegant or well crafted as the gems made by the late John Bryant, but its lightweight, built from 'found' materials, and can be easily rotated on a table.   I also find the mostly analog circuitry of the SRF-59 produces more pleasant, less tiring audio than most DSP receivers.   You'll find four photos at daslied.com/badx/halfshell-srf-59

1 -- The stock SRF-59  (with my Atwater-Kent model 76 in the background)
2 -- Detail of a simple air-loop, wound spider-style on an 8.5x11 plastic notebook cover from scrap wire. A salvaged tuning cap and switch for tuning range.
3 -- The whole peanut-jar system
4 -- The 'half-shell' mod; the SRF-59 is left open, with a tuning knob made of a jar cover, which works very smoothly.

Gary Thorburn
Maynard, MA

--
73