Re: "Novelty Radio"

John Ruschmeyer

The clear case would be required by a prison so that the radio can't be used to smuggle or hide contraband. (I'll skip the issue of whether one could unwind the coil of the AM antenna and use it to strangle someone.) I know that I've also seen pictures of clear TV sets, back in the day, also intended for prison use.

That said, there is/was a fascination with "clear" consumer products for a while, sometimes with added LED or neon lighting. I have also seen versions of radios such as the Grundig Mini 300PE in colored, translucent cases. I imagine that this is where the Amazon seller got the idea that it was a "novelty" radio.