Re: Gary's Ultralight DX shootout

Gary DeBock

Hi Russ,

<<<    Two months sounds like an understatement....   >>>

Well, Ultralight file review is a little different from SDR file review. In the Ultralight version some frequencies with exotic station possibilities are recorded during peak propagation for periods of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, in the hope that something exotic will show up later on during file review. Many of the really exotic DXpedition venues (Cook Islands, Hawaii, etc.) have wind or surf noise, which limits your ability to dig out weak stations during live DXing.

9 times out of 10 this strategy works like gangbusters. In the Cook islands I didn't know that I had received 657-AIR, 918-Cambodia or 1000-Brazil until I had returned home for file review. The same thing happened after November's Kauai DXpedition-- file review (and mostly the assistance of the Finnish language experts) uncovered receptions of 702-VOV, 729-VOV, 909-Xinjiang, 918-Egypt, 927-AIR, 954-AIR and the 1575-Iran Jammer.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)