Re: Gary's Ultralight DX shootout

Paul Blundell

I also have your shootout linked on my blog which would add a few pages views to that.

I guess the question is "Has enough changed / new radios released" to make it worthwhile?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
<<<   I think there was a 2009 and 2015. Has Gary had a newer updated one?   >>>

The current answer is-- not yet. There have been some interesting new Ultralights introduced since 2015, but the question is whether there is the time (and $1K+) to write up another major article like in 2015.

In the 2015 Shootout article five new and existing Ultralights were introduced, and thoroughly evaluated for both performance and technical innovations. That involved the purchase of multiple test units for quality control checks, as well as complete disassembly for technical inspections That article has been downloaded  9,245 times from MediaFire, and countless more times from SWLing.com. For those interested, it is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/file/2f7c04v3jgw9yb6/2015_Ultralight_Radio_Shootout_Review-4.doc/file

In the current schedule there is a trip scheduled to Hong Kong in April, the usual Rockwork Cliff (a.k.a. "Kiwi Cliff') trip to Oregon scheduled for August, and a return trip to Kauai, Hawaii scheduled for November. After each of these "Frequent Flyer" DXpeditions there is typically file review of radio recordings, which can continue up to two months. In the meantime, I'll try to keep options open by purchasing a few of the more innovative, exciting new Ultralight models.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX