Re: Reliable but reasonably priced sources of ferrite for FSLs?-FARMERIK

Russ Edmunds

The added capacitance will provide better low-end performance on an air core loop, and so it should on an FSL.

One other feature from the original 4' loop design was a Q-spoiling pot to add or remove resistance from the circuit and improve audio clarity. I never got to a point where I felt that I needed that with mine and I eventually removed it entirely from my 2' loop. If the audio isn't improved with the switchable capacitance, the pot may be another option to consider.

Russ Edmunds

WB2BJH

Blue Bell, PA

Grid FN20id

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Todd via Groups.Io <toddemslie@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 5:57:20 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Reliable but reasonably priced sources of ferrite for FSLs?-FARMERIK

Not yet, Russ. But adding additional (temporary switchable) capacitance to my 40 inch box loop would offer the following advantages:

1. Lower frequency coverage for long wave AITS stations, etc.

2. Lower circuit Q which corresponds to decreased muffled audio towards the bottom end of the MW band.

I assume higher loop or FSL Q selectivity response is obtained with higher inductance, lower capacitance, and lower coil wire resistance.

Regards,

Todd.

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.