From: "Todd via Groups.Io" <toddemslie@...>
Date: 19/01/2019 10:00 AM (GMT+10:00)
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Going Paperless for Radio DXing

<Recently my wife and I have taken on the "minimalism" life style by making the choice to live happily with less. As a part of this we have cleaned out our home and reduced what we own.>

Similar with myself Paul, I have been a minimalist most of my life, but didn't know it until recently. There has also been an internal conflict between minimalism and sentimentalism. The sentimental part of a person wants to hang on to everything from especially the youth years. This may be acceptable for small items like photographs and portable radios, but it becomes a major problem with large old furniture. Fortunately I was gradually able to sell, give away, or throw out the majority of old bulky large furniture to replace with new furniture. Once that emotional threshold has been overcome, it is a positive experience to experience living in a house with only new furniture and items that are frequently used. I model my house furniture layout on getaway (holiday) rental accommodation, where everything is positioned to near perfection and nothing left to chance.

I have an interest in interior design, both contemporary and archaic. I own a set of interior decorating magazines covering the 1960s to 1980s. The 1970s period was especially unattractive from my perspective. Large dark teak wall units filled with books were truly an eyesore to behold. Given my technical interest in DXing, I have a accumulated a wide range of books over the years, starting with The Radio Handbook by William Orr in the late 1970s. One thing that a minimalist soon discovers is that at least 80% of technical literature eventually becomes both irrelevant and surplus to requirements. Hence most of my DX technical literature has been discarded in order to make more space.

A minimalist DXer's nightmare is to have a dusty room full of old "boat anchor" Collins and Hammarlund type radios from the 1950s, with old radio posters plastered on the walls. I once tried comparing a Collins 51J-4 against the much physically smaller Icom R71E. There was no advantage for either in MW DX performance. Some of the smaller Sangean portables can match my Icom R8500 on MW. This is why the ULR approach suits the minimalist DXer that desires more space and less clutter in the radio room. Women in particular regard geek hobby technical items like large radios and old computers as objectionable. A relatively small ULR and FSL antenna approaches the ideal compromise between contemporary aesthetics and DXing performance.

Out with the old and in with (less) of the new.

Todd
Sydney, AU
--
Paul - Moderator