Re: Dramatically Boost Your FSL Antenna Performance! [2 Attachments]

Steve Ratzlaff

Thanks, Gary, for this "raised PVC base for the FSL" info. If it's not too much trouble, I would like to see your "official construction article" made, then you could put it in the Files and anyone could retrieve that info.

Your experiments with raising the FSL off the ground to higher heights is very good info to have!

73,

Steve AA7U  (mostly LW FSL experimenter)

On 12/2/2018 11:21 PM, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

After two major ocean coast DXpeditions with the 5 inch "Frequent Flyer" FSL antenna to the Cook Islands and Hawaii this year, I thought I would share with you all some pretty astonishing antenna performance results.

As the original FSL antenna experimenters (Steve, Kevin and I) all discovered, you can significantly improve the performance of the FSL antenna by elevating it above ground level. This fact was the inspiration for the Rockwork Cliff PVC bases used for the Monster FSL's, which have always had excellent performance in chasing DU-DX every summer. But how can you adapt this concept to boost the performance of the "Frequent Flyer" FSL antennas, especially on isolated ocean beaches around the world? Obviously, some type of breakdown PVC base would be required-- one with parts that can be completely packed away in checked luggage.

For the December 2017 visit to Kona, Hawaii, there was no PVC base taken along with the 5 inch "Frequent Flyer" FSL antenna. A lot of DX stations in Japan, Korea and China were received, but these are all common TP countries that can easily be received on the west coast of North America. Long range DX results in Hawaii should have been better.

For the April 2018 DXpedition to the Cook Islands, a medium-sized 2.5 foot PVC base was used for the first time with the 5 inch "Frequent Flyer" FSL antenna (photo attached). There was a very dramatic increase in long range DXing results-- India, Bangladesh, Mongolia and Cambodia were all received at over 7,000 miles, along with Brazil in South America.

For last month's DXpedition to Kauai, Hawaii, a full-sized 4 foot PVC base was used for the first time (photo attached). The 5 inch 'Frequent Flyer" FSL practically exploded with long range DX-- Oman, Iran, India, Myanmar, Cambodia, 4 stations in Vietnam, 800-PJB in the Caribbean, etc. This was the same Hawaii environment and antenna that were used a year ago-- the only difference was the 4' PVC antenna base. These PVC bases are very cheap, and easy to construct. They use plug-in PVC legs (with 1.5 foot extender sections on the 4foot model), and can be built for around $25. For "Frequent Flyer" DXers who are looking to dramatically boost their DXing results, these bases are phenomenal performers. For Craig Barnes and other DXers who really enjoy this type of thrilling Ultralight DXpedition, I would be happy to construct these PVC bases, and mail them out. If there is sufficient interest in the Ultralight group for a full construction article on these PVC antenna bases, ask-- and ye shall receive!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)