From: 'Paul S.' ferrite61@... [ultralightdx]
To: uldx
Sent: Mon, Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Subject: [ultralightdx] 10th Anniversary

Happy 10th Anniversary! Good things do indeed come in small packages.

At the end of the 20th Century Crystal Radios had become resurgent: there were several websites devoted to building them. As part of that group I was more involved in building a "1-Active-Device" radio using a single transistor. Several of members of the "Xtal Set Society" had begun their DXing using a 1-tube radio. I was just a youngin' and was taking apart defunct transistor radios and recycling them as a 1-Transistor radio.

By 2004 the 1-Tubers and 1-Q'ers got our own contest. Key to logging these stations was the use of a spotter radio to confirm the RX. As such, I had a WRX-911 (new in 2005) and a Radio Shack DX350. I will note here that this was the 50th Anniversary of the first commercial transistor radios like the Regency TR-1, Motorola, Sony, etc.

In 2007 word spread of the SONY SRF49 pocket radio having amazing Receptions when based on the W. Coast USA/Canada. Word got to us at Crystal Radios, and even Y-Groups like Glenn Hauser's World of Radio.
Before I knew it there was the Ultralightdx Y-group similar to Colin's
B.C. based coffee and DX club (sorry, cant off-the-top-of-my-head remember his web-group). A few of my logs actually predate the group from Feb. 2006 using the Kaito WRX911. A few others at the time of the Club's beginning use the Tecsun PL-200.

It has been a rather marvelous experience here, these simpler sets are really quite good, and the ultralightdx group has/is a good place to share one's experiences. My thanks to the late John Bryant, and to Gary, Rob, et al for bring attention to, and providing a forum for these little receiver gems.

Also, thanks for advancing the "science" of DXing. The ferrite "ring-core" antennas, and new U/L products have a place for test and review.

Regards
Paul S. in CT

Subject: [ultralightdx] Digest Number 3260
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Monday, November 20, 2017, 8:12 PM

10th Anniversary Congratulations to the ULTRALIGHT DX Group

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:48 pm(PST) Posted by: vo1_001_swl

Hello To All,

Ten years ago I was approached by our late friend and great
radio DXer , John Bryant who had noticed my posting of
radio logs on a group site and who had asked me to share
some station logs which I heard using a recently received
birthday gift, a brand new Sony SRF-M37V Ultralight radio.

For yours truly this was the start of my exploits in
"Ultralight radio DXing ".

Given my great DXing location, it was the perfect
opportunity to find out just what could be heard on these
mighty "mini-receiver s" .

It definitely was an added unique nitch to something that I
had been doing for the past 40 years at that time.

Recently hearing Alaska and China from here in Newfoundland
using an ultralight radio really demonstrates that there are
no boundaries to what can be heard with them.

The past ten years of being involved with the Ultralight
radio community has not only brought added personal
satisfaction to a hobby that I have enjoyed for several
decades but also good friendships and comradery along the
way, as well as helping others discover the excitement and
thrill of Ultralight Radio DXing.

My Thanks to Gary DeBock , Robert Ross and others for
getting me involved in the group , it has been a wonderful
journey and I look forward to many more years of
involvement ahead in this fascinating niche to a great hobby.

Congratulations on the 10th Anniversary to the Founders and
all members of the ULTRALIGHT DX Group

Allen Willie

Carbonear, Newfoundland