Re: ULTRALIGHT DX..... REPLY to JACK LEONARD..RE SONY SRF-T615 ULR

franktowntrain <jleonard@...>

Richard, thanks for your kind advice, I've just gotten in to AM Dxing
but finding it a very rewarding hobby if a little confusing as to what
equipment I should be using. Yes the price of the T615 is a problem
for me, I am considering the Sangean DT200VX after reading Gary
DeBock's 2008 shootout article on DXer.ca. He thinks the DT200VX is
worthy rival for the T615. Gary says.
"The 2007 Shootout digital winner, the DT-200VX, is tough competition
however , with superior memory capacity, superior immunity to urban RF
issues, and very competitive AGC and audio. The choice of these two
would basically depend on whether urban RF issues are
likely to be a major problem."
I can buy the Sangean unit here in Canada for less than half the cost
of the T615, that's a big difference. Unfortunately there is a 3 week
wait from the Canadian supplier right now, but I could handle that.
As to the Eton E100, I have come to appreciate that it is a very good
AM receiver and no doubt I will learn to use it better as time goes
on. As to alignment, I'm afraid I don't have the technical skills to
undertake that. I do notice when using the E100 that I can hear
sometimes 1 or two stations "under" the main signal I am listening to
and I think what you mean by alignment would probably help to seperate
those signals?
Thanks to all for the help and advice
Jack Leonard

--- In ultralightdx@..., "bbwrwy" <richarda@...> wrote:

Jack:

Thus far, I've only used my SRF-T615 barefoot. I'm not sure what you
mean by "holding a signal". The T615 is quite sensitive, but it will
not receive the very weak signals sometimes audible on a more
expensive communications set like my ICOM R75. Weak signals are
always going to be easier to hear with communications receiver I find
when the signal fades out on the T615 it's still audible on the ICOM
for awhile longer. But for a very miniscule receiver I find it
phenomenal.

Your E100 probably just needs a good alignment. Look at John Bryant's
article "The Eton E100: Disassembly & Alignment" posted at
www.dxer.ca. Once aligned, it should be as sensitive or even more
than the T615 at the high end of the AM band. However, it will still
be less sensitive at the lower end of the band. That's why DXers have
been modifying their E100 with "slider" antennas.

I would use my E100 more if it were not for the extreme nulling
capability of the T615. The Etón has advantages over the T615, such
as direct frequency entry and ability to be tune in 1 kHz steps. I
have heard Japan and Croatia in Oklahoma with a barefoot, stock E100.

Before spending a lot of money (almost double from a year ago) on a
T615, my suggestion is have your E100 re-aligned. If you don't feel
comfortable aligning it yourself, there is somebody here that will
help you.

Best wishes.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'36"W