Re: some audio observations

Carl DeWhitt

--- By the way,if anyone is interested,AM mode hams can be found 1-2
hours before local sunrise on or about 3885 kHz.Their are frequencies
in other bands but i only know this one.You will see what i meant if
you hear W0XV or someone else with audio like his.
In ultralightdx@..., "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@...>
wrote:

I meant to send this in my last post,but my computer time on the
library computer ran out and i had to get another computer.
Has anyone of you noticed an audio quality difference among AM
stations,especially older stations vs. newer ones ? I also wonder
if
any U.S. stations are still using tube transmitters ? I know that
the
older tube receivers have better audio than many new solid state
rigs.But i had not thought about transmitters having the same
qualities
tubes vs. solid state until recently.
When tuning through the 75 meter phone band recently on my Grundig
G-6
Aviator,i heard a group of AM mode hams.The loudest,W0XV in
Mississippi
was pegging my meter and his audio was incredible ! He put the
audio of
some AM broadcast stations to shame ! He was using a home brew
tube
transmitter.
Which AM stations in your respective areas seem to have the best
audio ?
This could be useful as better audio should make a station easier
catch if it can be heard at all in the dxer,s area.Thanks.
73 and good dx,
Carl DeWhitt
Maryville,Tn.