Re: 3.5 inch (89mm) "Frequent Flyer" FSL Antenna Rocks at Rockwork

C B

Gary,

Yes, I will have my "Frequent Flyer" FSL with me this week at Ocean Shores! Great report and recordings!

Thanks.

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Aug 6, 2017, at 3:46 PM, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

The airport-friendly 3.5 inch "Frequent Flyer" FSL antenna was specifically designed for easy, hassle-free airline travel to exotic places around the world. Despite the fact that it fits easily within hand-carry luggage, it can provide inductive gain boosts comparable to those of a 4 foot air core box loop (once the DXer becomes skillful in its operation).

This morning one of these "Baby FSL" models demonstrated exactly what it can do to enhance transoceanic signals at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, Oregon. During typical propagation it provided tuned gain boosts to a stock C.Crane Skywave model, resulting in these enhanced transoceanic signals from New Zealand and Australia. The full "Heathkit-like" construction article for this model (23 pages, describing design, construction and operation) is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/file/pnfm8909c77zjoy/3.5inch-FF-FSL.doc

531  PI   Auckland, NZ,  5 kW   Samoan talk at 1227

603  Radio Waatea   Auckland, NZ,  5 kW   Maori language chants at 1312

765  Radio Kahungunu   Napier-Hastings, NZ,  2.5 kW   Maori music at 1255

774  3LO   Melbourne, Australia,  50 kW   ABC female talk at 1332

3.5 inch "Frequent Flyer" FSL photo at Rockwork 4 this morning is posted at

73, Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, OR, USA)