Re: ULTRALIGHT DX..... REPLY to JACK LEONARD..RE SONY SRF-T615 ULR

franktowntrain <jleonard@...>

Richard, thanks for the advice. "arthritic thumbs" thats exactly the
same problem I have. You wouldn't think that would have any effect on
a hobby that mainly involves listening to a radio? You don't say but
are you using the T615 "barefoot"? I have an E100 but I'm a little
disappointed with it. How is the 615 at holding a signal? Although I
am trying to log as many stations as I can, occasionally find myself
stopping to listen if something interests me, and until I started on
this hobby very recently I was unaware at the great variety of stuff
on the MW frequencies.
Sorry, my mistake you did say that you are mainly using the radio's
internal antenna.
Thanks
Jack Leonard
Smiths Falls, ON
Canada

--- In ultralightdx@..., "bbwrwy" <richarda@...> wrote:

Jack:

Welcome.

Like Robert, I also started out with the SRF-59 and due to my
arthritic thumbs found the analog tuning troublesome. I have mostly
used a SRF-T615e as my primary ULR. The majority of the 581 stations
I've heard was with the "tiny giant". I've heard stations from across
the Atlantic and Pacific on the T615 using only its internal antenna.

Besides sensitivity, one of the receiver's pluses is its antenna,
allowing for very tight nulls - often better than larger loops. As
with any receiver I've used there is always a downside. The T615
doesn't handle strong adjacent frequency signals as well as say the
E100. This is mostly a problem during the daytime, for I rarely
encounter it at night.

There are lower cost alternatives to the T615. The one most often
mentioned is the Etón E100. It offers the possibility of future
modification. Another is the Sangean DT-400W.

For more on the subject I suggest you look at the www.dxer.ca website.
It contains a wealth of information on the ultralight receivers.
Unfortunately the perfect receiver has yet to be marketed

Best wishes and good DX.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'36"W
(near Perry OK USA)