Re: Digest Number 3110

Tony King <tonyzl@...>

1610. CHHA often rises in NZ  over Anguilla - distinctive by its Latin music over  the endless sermons by Melissa Scott and is coming in well in NZ this southern summer.
Tony K

On 3 February 2017 at 14:34, <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

5 Messages

Digest #3110
1b
Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster by "Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids
1c
Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster by "Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids
1d
Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster by "Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids

Messages

1a

1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster

Thu Feb 2, 2017 12:59 am (PST) . Posted by:

dxergary

During early morning antenna testing at 1145 on 12-17 a mystery Spanish station calling itself "La Voz de la Communidad" pounded in at awesome strength on 1610 kHz-- which is normally a pretty sedate frequency here in western Washington state. At S9 strength for several minutes, the station featured an English-language public service message at the beginning of this MP3, followed by the Spanish "La Voz de la Communidad" ID.
https://app.box.com/s/ln29rp40nn5ypyyp9kgoi265bgsq70lb

Any ideas who this might be? Walt often mentions 1610-CHHA in Toronto, but Mexico also has a 5 kW station on the frequency. Either one would seem pretty unusual to manage such a potent signal on the 5 inch Mini-FSL that was being tested.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
7.5" loopstick CC Skywave + 5" Mini-FSL antenna

1b

Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster

Thu Feb 2, 2017 1:09 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids

Haven't got any headphones handy, but part of the Spanish sounded like "call our sales dept, 411 982 2953" 411 is a Canadian area code?

On 2/02/2017, at 9:59 PM, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

> During early morning antenna testing at 1145 on 12-17 a mystery Spanish station calling itself "La Voz de la Communidad" pounded in at awesome strength on 1610 kHz-- which is normally a pretty sedate frequency here in western Washington state. At S9 strength for several minutes, the station featured an English-language public service message at the beginning of this MP3, followed by the Spanish "La Voz de la Communidad" ID.
> https://app.box.com/s/ln29rp40nn5ypyyp9kgoi265bgsq70lb

1c

Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster

Thu Feb 2, 2017 1:20 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids

Hmmm. Actually, I'll change the number

416 782 2953

Which appears to be the Anglican Diocese Of Toronto.

On 2/02/2017, at 10:09 PM, Andy ZL3AG zl3ag@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

> Haven't got any headphones handy, but part of the Spanish sounded like "call our sales dept, 411 982 2953" 411 is a Canadian area code?
>
> On 2/02/2017, at 9:59 PM, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
>

> > During early morning antenna testing at 1145 on 12-17 a mystery Spanish station calling itself "La Voz de la Communidad" pounded in at awesome strength on 1610 kHz-- which is normally a pretty sedate frequency here in western Washington state. At S9 strength for several minutes, the station featured an English-language public service message at the beginning of this MP3, followed by the Spanish "La Voz de la Communidad" ID.
> > https://app.box.com/s/ln29rp40nn5ypyyp9kgoi265bgsq70lb

1d

Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster

Thu Feb 2, 2017 1:59 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Andy ZL3AG" ihatesharedids

Bingo. http://chha1610am.ca/contact-us/

On 2/02/2017, at 10:19 PM, Andy ZL3AG zl3ag@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

> Hmmm. Actually, I'll change the number
>
> 416 782 2953
>
> Which appears to be the Anglican Diocese Of Toronto.

1e

Re: 1610 kHz UnID Spanish Blaster

Thu Feb 2, 2017 2:07 am (PST) . Posted by:

dxergary

Wow-- thanks a lot, Andy. The English public service announcement kind of made sense for a station in Toronto, but the 6.25 kW power listed for CHHA sounded pretty unlikely for an S9 signal here on the North American west coast.

Of course in NZ it's probably a routine catch-- my Ultralight DXing buddy Tony King has reported reception of the 1 kW 1690-CJLO in Montreal on his Tecsun PL-380 and box loop in Greytown :-)

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX (in Puyallup, WA, USA)