Re: Bizarre FSL Shootout

Gary DeBock

Hi Jerry,

<<<    Is it possible to get some info on that PVC base you use for DXing, i.e. what is the length and width of the 4’ high outdoor platform that holds the plywood base?   >>>

I've attached a couple of photos of the portable 4' high PVC base, which can easily be set up almost anywhere within 2 minutes, and is easily transported inside a compact car trunk. You can either place a sheet of plywood on it (for portable radio DXing) or use it to hold a large FSL antenna (as during DXpeditions). In the latter case the top surfaces of the long PVC pipes are usually covered by glued-on strips of 1" I.D. rubber hose, to provide slip resistance during foul weather.

To make the this PVC base assembly you will need 30 feet of either 1" or 3/4" diameter PVC pipe (depending upon how much weight you plan to place on it), 8 PVC "Tee" fittings and 4 PVC "Elbow" fittings. Building the center portion is easy, once you become skillful in gluing two PVC fittings simultaneously (i.e. applying glue to two pipes and two fittings, then plugging both sides together while the glue is still wet). The 4 PVC "Elbow" fittings are angled at 20 degrees outward, so that the stability of the base is increased after the 4 PVC "legs" are plugged in.

You can get a close-up of these PVC bases in action (along with another PVC side attachment to hold an Ultralight radio and MP3 recorder)) during the June 2015 Rockwork 4 ocean cliff DXpedition in the video posted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMajwIVPjuo   Good luck!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)       

-----Original Message-----
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Wed, Mar 16, 2016 2:16 am
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Bizarre FSL Shootout

Gary, thats pretty amazing results in that the $95.00 FSL is almost comparable to the $1000.00 FSL!!

Is it possible to get some info on that PVC base you use for DXing, i.e. what is the length and width of the 4’ high outdoor platform that holds the plywood base?

Jerry

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.