Re: Thai Score

Guy Atkins

I believe I've read it in a crystal radio enthusiasts forum, but it's my understanding that the "Dissipation Factor" of various plastics, foam, (or other materials) is what makes the difference. A very low dissipation factor is desirable.

Check out this list of "Electrical Properties of Plastics": Electrical Properties of Plastics

73,
Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

---In ultralightdx@..., <michael.setaazul@...> wrote :

Any idea why some foam results in poorer performance?
Last year I tried a "knock-up" with old hotel-radio
ferrites, good litz (with and without a silver-plated
air-spaced variable C) and whatever was to hand. So maybe
the UK-sourced foam was part of the reason for disappointment.
Could it be that some foam has metallic content?
To try again, I would have to try foam from different
sources on a hit-and-miss basis. As LW and MW is dying
in Europe, I am reticent to risk too much outlay and will
probably return to a longer single ferrite rod and/or
1meter dia frame loop

Michael