Re: Thai Score

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Any idea why some foam results in poorer performance?
Last year I tried a "knock-up" with old hotel-radio
ferrites, good litz (with and without a silver-plated
air-spaced variable C) and whatever was to hand. So maybe
the UK-sourced foam was part of the reason for disappointment.
Could it be that some foam has metallic content?
To try again, I would have to try foam from different
sources on a hit-and-miss basis. As LW and MW is dying
in Europe, I am reticent to risk too much outlay and will
probably return to a longer single ferrite rod and/or
1meter dia frame loop

Michael

On 04.03.16 23:50, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

<<< I am in the process of gathering materials to build the 3 " FSL
antenna, I am just wondering where you can buy the Oatey 4x4 foam closet
spacers? >>>
The Oatey 4" foam spacer material is sold at Home Depot stores within
the USA, and is located in the plumbing section of such stores. It is
extremely cheap, with a full roll of the material (good enough for 2 or
3 antenna jobs) costing just over $1.
Because this material is so cheap and because it is actually quite
important for proper FSL coil sensitivity, substitutions are not
recommended. Already one DXer did a very good job in constructing his 3"
FSL PL-380 model but used a different type of foam, and ended up with
seriously reduced MW sensitivity as a result.