Re: CC Skywave for Christmas

Russ Edmunds

Whatever digital receivers there were didn't sell - and only partly on account of cost. Consumers simply didn't understand the concept. Here it was sold as "High Definition" which really means nothing to the average person. I suspect that most Americans have never heard an AM IBOC digital transmission. And many of those who have can't discern any significant improvement over analog. That's not surprising when one considers that a majority of US AM's are formatted as news, talk, sports, or preaching - after all, how much fidelity improvement can you get with speech ?

IBOC Digital transmission also simply isn't well suited to North American AM at all. It's hard to implement with highly directional antenna systems, it's expensive to operate, and it doesn't really improve on the main reception quality complaint for analog, which is interference. When there's interference, the digital signal just disappears.

So, in short, no demand, no receivers.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Michael michael.setaazul@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification! Strange that there should
be no receivers for AM digital:-) In the Old World few radios
are available - and none affordable - which receive DRM,
although DRM test transmissions continue.

The propagation properties of MW and LW (and even SW) signals
would make DRM or similar very attractive - one transmitter
would cover a wide geographical area. In a major emergency, this
would enable communication to the majority from few transmitters.
As it is, we have glorious DAB and DAB+. At 225MHz they are restricted
to local coverage and require many relay transmitters and emergency
generators to cover the area previously covered by a few AM medium and
longwave transmitters. Ideal for North Korea to confound listening to
non-Great-Leader broadcasts - and in our latitudes advantageous for
Mad Men advertising philosphers...

'nough said,
Michael