Re: Longwave ULR DXing for Euro-Broadcasters

robert ross

On 2016-02-17, at 8:43 PM, jga747@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

Mr. Ross, I am new to Ultra Light DXing and was told you're the authority on European Long wave reception. I have a few Ultralights to choose from, but would like to see what you recommend for an antenna. Also I am in Buffalo, so not to far from you, any advice on the best chances for receiving European LW from my location.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe:

   For Ultralight LONGWAVE DXing I use a "Gary DeBock" TECSUN PL-380 ULR with a 7 1/2" External Ferrite Rod wound for Longwave. I also have that coupled to a "Gary DeBock" LONGWAVE FSL Antenna.

Without the FSL Antenna, it is pretty difficult to hear the LW Broadcasters here in Ontario.  If you are in Buffalo, you are only about 120 Miles East of me…so your receive conditions should be similar to mine.

I think you would have a hard time receiving the Euro-Broadcasters without at least an External Ferrite Rod on a Tecsun PL-380…..Barefoot would be a real challenge.

With the "Gary DeBock" Tecsun PL-380 and FSL Antenna, I have heard 11 Different Euro Longwave Broadcasters……Not sure if that makes me an "Authority" or not,  but that's a good assortment of what is currently available to hear over there. Even with the listed gear…these stations are not regularly heard, and are not easy to hear…….

73………ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA