Re: Advice for a newbie

Rik

Thanks, with your help I was able to get the display on the GP-5/SSB to read LW frequencies, but all I heard on both the BOG and a 50 foot aerial was images from MW which were stronger than beacons, and nothing sounded like LW, although possibly there was a signal buried some where. I wondered if band conditions were much worse than I had the other night, so I tried the SONY ICF-SW7600GR and confirmed they are. With the variable antenna input ATT, I could get rid of the images from MW, but not hear any listen able LW stations tonight.

When actually tuning LW broadcasts on the ICOM, they sound similar for a few 1 KHz. steps, but every 1 KHz step sounded different on the GP-5/SSB.

-FARMERIK