From: "keith beesley keith1226@... [ultralightdx]"
To: "ultralightdx@..."
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Is LW / Long-wave area dead ?

It would be fun to hear some broadcast stations on LW. From my area, I only hear nav beacons and images of MW stations. There supposedly are LW broadcast stations from Russia and Mongolia that are audible on the U.S. west coast from time to time, but I've never managed to snare one.

Beacons, however, are interesting because of how different ones pop in and out at different hours of the day and night, and at different seasons. One winter night a few years ago, I actually heard one at about 520 kHz at the bottom of the AM dial on a GE Superadio :-).

Keith B.
Seattle WA USA

On Monday, February 15, 2016 10:16 AM, "farmerik@... [ultralightdx]" wrote:

What frequency do you hear Ireland on? I was never able to hear it on the listed frequency from North East USA, I think around 250 KHz? Maybe it is lower power than domestic BBC on 198 or directional to Europe.

Unfortunately I speak no other language than English. Of the 7+ LW stations I heard last night, one was BBC, and one sounded Middle Eastern judging by both music and voices. All the rest sounded like French to me. One played classical music with long periods of talk between cuts, and the rest played various sorts of popular music, some songs had English lyrics, but I did not recognize any singers or songs.

FARMERIK the North East [CT] USA