Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2016 8:30 AM
Subject: [ultralightdx] "Science Fiction PL-380"-- Pest Control Version

Hello All,

The first of the new hard-wired FSL models specifically designed to have an unusually sharp nulling capability is now a reality. With a "short and stubby" FSL design that emphasizes symmetry, isolation and a tidy RF reception pattern, this model can put all of my semi-locals (Seattle and Tacoma) down in the noise-- and even receive a few competing stations on their fundamental frequencies. Using 22 of the commonly available Russian surplus 62mm x 12mm x 4mm bars, this model is one of the "spinoff" versions of the 3" Bar FSL PL-380 model (for which the 15-page "Heathkit-like" construction article was posted at  http://www.mediafire.com/view/w0gcek56f6aq7kr/3_Inch_FSL_Tecsun_PL.doc ), and has an FSL "sensitivity score" (coil diameter x ferrite length) of 264-- pretty close to the 300 point score of the article version (with 100mm ferrite bars). The advantage of this model is that there is a huge supply of the Russian surplus 62mm ferrite bars, currently sold on eBay by two different sellers. You can get 20 of them for $13-- including shipping from Lithuania.

Construction of this model is identical to the article version, except for the FSL construction (which may be added as an addendum). All of the construction parts are readily available, also. Unless you live practically next door to a local pest, this "pest control" model should cut your offenders down to size. A photo of the new model is attached.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)