Re: Hard-Wired FSL Antennas-- How Big is Too Big?

Rik

My understanding of RF theory is pretty limited. Do you think the 'fluttering' is from overloading the DSP chip? If so, would a variable resistor used to cut the signal when needed on some frequencies fix that, or am I misunderstanding what is happening?

Do either radios you worked with use the same  chip as the GP5/SSB or the Pl-360?

I think I read you to say the FSL antennas have about the same figure 8  pick up pattern as an air core loop, rather than a tighter pattern like some radios have. Is that correct? For example, my PL-600 seems very directional with a pick up pattern much tighter than 90 degrees. I looked inside my radios as much as I could, and saw no pattern to how the internal ferrite antennas looked to explain why some radios have a much narrower pick up pattern than others. For DXing it could be a huge advantage, but you could miss stations in the wide nulls for ordinary listening.

While certainly not compact, lightweight or inexpensive, my few experiments with Polydorof windings on a toroid stack show a sharp peak with much better S/N, but ordinary nulling. I have not attempted having a  FSL  built yet, and have not been following all the advances. It sounds like you are coming up with improved designs tailored  for DSP radios. FARMERIK.