January 5 TP-DX with the New 3" Bar FSL Tecsun PL-380

Gary DeBock

One of my experimental projects over the holiday period was to design a breakthrough "travel portable," with unsurpassed sensitivity, selectivity and portability in the hand-held class. This was the new 3" Bar FSL Tecsun PL-380 model, using a lightweight, hard-wired 3" diameter FSL antenna in place of the stock loopstick. The radio's Si4734 DSP chip tunes the highly sensitive antenna, resulting in breakthrough sensitivity in the portable class. A photo of the new model is posted at https://app.box.com/s/bpv03wvwpjbicvytw9euicg1hellda3g

This morning I had the chance to test out the new "science fiction PL-380" in actual TP-DXing, with potent signals from both 1566-HLAZ and 1593-CNR1 during sunrise enhancement around 1545. As a stand-alone portable this hand-held model provided signal quality approaching that of mid-size external FSL antennas-- quite a thrill for a quirky designer of souped-up DXing portables.

1593  CNR1   Changzhou, China   Male Chinese speech with S9 peaks at 1546

1566  HLAZ   Jeju, S. Korea   Chinese Christian music with S7 peaks at 1550

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
3" Bar FSL Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight (hand-held and "barefoot")