3" FSL Tecsun PL-380 Project Update

Gary DeBock

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in building this breakthrough model.

After daytime testing over the holiday period I'm convinced that this model provides a unique combination of MW sensitivity, selectivity and portability, and as such should be a popular modification for those who need a high-performing "travel portable" or a stand-alone DXing radio for casual ocean beach DXpeditions. For those who can track down the construction parts the modification should be fairly routine, especially for those with experience building the 7.5" loopstick PL-380 models (since much of the modification process duplicates that procedure). Unfortunately a couple of the construction parts (the Russian surplus 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite rods and the Funnoodle 2.25" diameter inner foam core) are currently not available on eBay, so we are scrambling to find alternative sources.

I have enough of the ferrite bars to provide sets of 8 for all who have ordered from me, but we need to find an alternative source for others who are interested in the project. There are multiple sellers of the 62mm ferrite bars on eBay, but the sensitivity of those bars will not match that of the 100mm long variety. The Funnoodle inner cores are swimming floatation aids typically sold in the summer season in North America, and unfortunately I have only one tube on hand (which is mostly used up). If any of our members in the Southern hemisphere (NZ or Oz) can track down some of these swimming floatation aides (of approximately 2.25 inches, or 56mm diameter) it would be greatly appreciated. Of course members are welcome to substitute material to build their own custom FSL, but they will be on their own as far as design and performance.

The detailed construction procedures are being drafted at the same time as the ferrite bar shipments are being sent out, so if you have ordered the bars please be patient during this process. The finished project is well worth the construction effort, and as the summer months approach we will surely be swimming in "Funnoodles."  :-)

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)