Degen DE221 Quick Look

Gary Sargent

I saw the announcement a few months ago about a number of new Degen small radios. The new DE221 caught my attention. I’ve been waiting for someone to buy one and report their observations. Not seeing this, I decided to buy one and give it a quick evaluation.

The DE221 is an upgrade of the Degen DE321 AM, FM and SW low cost small radio. Both are based on the Silicon Labs DSP chip. The major difference is that the DE321 is entirely looking like an old style mechanically tuned radio.  The DE221, even though based on the same DSP technology, it has most of the appearance and operation of a low end digital AM (MW), FM, and SW radio.

Some major points of the DE221

·         - Is a little smaller and thinner than the popular PL380. Pocketable.

·         - Digital display (non-backlit) of frequency, mode (I.e. MW, FM or SW)  time, alarm, sleep timer and battery strength

·          -Tuning is via a rotary control on the right side. The band is selected by a top mounted slider band switch (FM1, FM2, MW and 8 SW bands)

·         - As the band is tuned, a mechanical pointer on the right side of the front case moves from a value of 0 at the bottom to a 10 at the top. Think of this as a sort of band spread indication to show generally where you are in a band.

·         - As you tune, the digital display is showing the tuned frequency, in megahertz FM and SW and kilohertz MW. -There is a small and sensitive “Tune” LED that comes on when a station is exactly tuned in

·         - Volume is a rotary control on the right .. good speaker volume and good headphone sound

·         -There are 8 buttons with all legends in Chinese. But they are simple enough. The buttons from 1 to 8, from left to right and from top to bottom are:

1 – Stereo / mono for FM

2 – Alarm off / on (only when powered off). Alarm turns on the radio to last station tuned in.

3 – Set current time or alarm time hours (only when powered off)

4 – Select sleep timer minutes (steps from 90 to off with each press) and turns on the radio

5 – Set the current time (press and hold until display blinks, only when powered off)

6 – Set the alarm time (press and hold until display blinks, only when powered off)

7 - Set current time or alarm time minutes (only when powered off)

8 – Radio power on / off