Tecsun PL-360 Commercial 200mm Plug-in Upgrade Antenna

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

While checking the latest eBay listings I came across this 200mm plug-in upgrade loopstick for the Tecsun PL-360 model, sold for $35.00 (+ $9 shipping) from a company in Greece:

A demonstration video of the 200mm plug-in loopstick's MW performance is posted at

Since this type of antenna is very similar to the 7.5" upgrade MW and LW loopsticks that I designed for the PL-360 model four years ago (the article posted at http://www.mediafire.com/view/2cqwsqj0bvajf6k/7.5_inch-LS.doc )
I thought that I would offer a couple of comments. The $35.00 price seems very reasonable, although no details are given of the loopstick's coil design or inductance. The design lacks any type of locking system like the rubber hose clamp on the 7.5" plug-in loopsticks, which means that the antenna will rotate around freely in the plug-in socket (similar to a ham radio antenna on a tower, with no brake). Finally, whoever shot the video apparently wasn't aware that whenever you change plug-in loopsticks on a PL-360 you must shift the frequency off slightly and then back on, in order for the Si4734 DSP chip to readjust to the different loopstick inductance, and provide maximum sensitivity. In any case, it will be interesting to see how many sales this company will end up with, and the ultimate performance of their 200mm loopstick design.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)