Re: All-Time Worldwide Ultralight Radio DX Distance Record Broken

Allen Willie

Congratulations on attaining that new ULR  World record Gary. Awesome job !!

On Monday, August 10, 2015 2:20 PM, "Guy Atkins dx@... [ultralightdx]" wrote:

VERY impressive accomplishment, Gary! Congratulations on your persistence paying off. You continue to show that it's a DXer's skills that are the #1 factor in chasing down the rare signals.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

4a

All-Time Worldwide Ultralight Radio DX Distance Record Broken

Sun Aug 9, 2015 6:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

dxergary

Hello All,

My transoceanic DXing buddy Tony King of Greytown, New Zealand (the "Kiwi X-Band King") shocked us all with his phenomenal reception of 1 kW 1690-CJLO from Montreal, Quebec about a year ago, breaking the all-time Ultralight Radio DX Distance record (at 14,631 km / 9,091 miles). But as Tony knows very well, the South Pacific-- North American propagation pipeline works both ways :-)

Yesterday morning at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, Oregon a persistent Australian station was hanging around on 558 kHz just as propagation was crashing, making me wonder exactly where it was coming from. After some investigation of the MP3 by my DXpedition partner Chuck Hutton he determined that the format matched that of Aussie LR network parallels on 774 and other frequencies, leaving only one possibility on the frequency-- 558-6WA in Wagin, Western Australia (at 14,704 km / 9,147 miles). This was received on a C.Crane Skywave model boosted by a 17" FSL antenna. Although this 50 kW ABC station is nowhere near the type of exotic 1 kW catch that Tony had with 1690-CHLO, I'll take it anyway!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, Oregon, USA)