Re: Spanish speaking stations

MarkWA1ION

One thing that makes ID'ing stations from Spain easy is all the
parallel channels, e.g. RNE on 531, 558, 567, 576, 585, 603, 621,
639, 657, 684, 729, 738, 747, 774, 801, 855, 936, 972, 1107, 1152,
etc.

Other networks in Spain such as COPE, SER, and EI have similarly
large groups of parallel frequencies.

Cuba's Progreso, Rebelde, and Reloj networks are also large with
many parallel channels. The clock-ticking and once-a-minute
Morse "RR" beeps on the Cuban Reloj stations such as 570 blowtorch
make ID'ing those quite simple.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

--- In ultralightdx@..., Allen Willie <vo1_001_swl@...>
wrote:
Hi John,

Welcome aboard our group . I don't speak Spanish myself either but
after being here in the North Atlantic for the past 7 years I've
sort of got an ear for Spanish from hearing all the Transatlantics
from Spain here in Newfoundland nightly.

I've found through my own experience that repitition is the key,
listening to a Spanish station over several different times for a
lengthy period each time can help.

Even though a person may not fully understand the entire speech,
certain words similar to English in amongst the speech tend to stand
out as recognizable to the listener.

As John Cereghin in Deleware mentioned the top of the hour at ID
time is probably the best time to figure out what the station is ,
but even off the top of the hour I've found through this method of
repitition it has yielded me some great catches as well .

Best of DX

Allen Willie
St. John's, Newfoundland