Re: Mini antenna test-FARMERIK

Tony Germanotta

If you're really interested in the theory and the tons of experiments that have been done on diversity reception and phasing using multiple antennas, you should check out the literature on the NRC and IRCA websites. They each sell reprints of articles that were published over the years in their excellent newsletters by folks who pioneered MW DXing. The NRC also sells a Loop Antenna "book" that compiles much of it, and the IRCA website offers a CD of all its 648 reprints for 10  bucks.

Here are the links.

Back in the days before online, I ordered many of those reprints and manuals from their mail-in catalogs.  The "stores" are usually manned by volunteers, so have some patience.

It's pretty accessible stuff.

Joe Carr's books are great too. You can buy his receiving antenna handbook at Universal where they also have some short free PDF files by him. He also had a loop antenna handbook and practical antenna handbook that seem to be available as pdf files online. I won't vouch for those sites though.

Or whether they are ripping off Joe's estate. I believe I read that he had gone silent key.

Here's the link to the Universal Radio offerings.

Mark Connelly WA1ION is, in my opinion, the expert on phasing and combining multiple loops. He has a website full of his wisdom, from basic loop design to building special phasing amplifiers to get that last microvolt of usable signal. It's at

Good luck. It's a fun trip into the magic kingdom that will certainly spur more questions and experiments.

On Mar 26, 2015, at 10:20 AM, farmerik@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

My mind is still wandering-

Not sure how a pair of whip antennas are connected electrically to become directional. Are they simply connected in parellel or is one whip connected to 'ground' /shield  and the other to the center conductor of the co-ax? I think the connecting co-ax is made to be the same length. A dipole connects one 'arm' to one side of twin lead and the other arm to the other side. Directional FM and VHF  TV antennas seem to have zip zag  connections to alternate polarity between each pair of elements. So I am really confused how two loops should be connected, but experimentation should make it clear.

Unsaid, but I was thinking two of the smaller Litz Diamond weave antennas in series tuned by a cap half way in between might be a good experiment, or four of the larger loops in series parellel tuned by a single central cap.

-FARMERIK