Re: Explaining our hobby to non radio people

Guy Atkins

Hi Paul,
My usual approach is to compare DXing to fishing. Why would someone go to the trouble to travel to a river, stream, or ocean, and tempt a fish to swallow a lure or bait, in the hope they could catch and reel it in? Why not just get your fish at a restaurant or grocery store? Well, everyone agrees it's for the fun and challenge of trying to catch the fish, and that's a comparison I make with DXing.
In fact, most fishermen (fisherwomen too :^) simply enjoy the trip to the outdoors, even if they come away empty handed. It's the same for me while on a DXpedition. Propagation conditions may be lousy, the antenna wire might get snarled (or stolen!), or any number of other gaffes... but I still enjoy the "quality radio time", even if all I hear are the "old friends" on the dial heard many times before. I guess I'm not as competitive as other DXers, because if I log nothing new, interesting, or unusual, I still find enjoyment in the magic of radio.
Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM, tanger32au@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Recently I have had somebody ask some questions about our hobby (this is somebody I know who found my blog).

I have an intro page on my blog and this was helpful but the question they asked that I could not really answer is why I / we do it? To them it makes no sense to listen to distance radio stations but not care much about the content....

How do others explain this?