Re: Eton E100 "Equivalent"

Gary DeBock

Thanks Brett and John,

I just ordered a couple more of these feature-packed E100's,
thanks to your messages. The price is great, and Durham's units have
all come with the tunable loopstick, making full alignment possible.
After alignment according to the file recently prepared by John (with
minor help from me), the E100 should be tops in both sensitivity and
selectivity among the Ultralights, exceeded only by the SRF-T615's
low-band sensitivity.

Unlike the SRF-T615, however, the E100 has good resistance to
spurious signals in stock form, making it a good candidate for mega-
loopstick transplants. With 200 memories and class-leading
selectivity, I can't wait to see what it will do with a 21"
loopstick, hi.

73, Gary D.

-- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Bryant"
<bjohnorcas@...> wrote:

I just got another one of those, too, Brett.... I wanna have a
back-up. There are several E100s, new in the box on ebay right
now.
The going price is about $50. I suspect that the supply will be
soon
exhausted.... it is such a good little radio.

John B.

At 08:45 PM 4/30/2008 -0400, you wrote:

I just ordered an E100 from Durham Radio via eBay; they still have
several left on a "buy-it-now" auction at $49. I'm anxious to try
it out,

Brett

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM, John H. Bryant
<<mailto:bjohnorcas@...>bjohnorcas@...> wrote:
Brett,

I'm the wrong person to ask.... Gary and the Technical Committee
(Gil, Kevin S., Joe) are the ones that rule on such. The E100-
was
actuaqlly just a cubic inch over the 20 cu./in. general size limit
and has neither a switchable pre-amp nor switchable IF filters,
either of which would tend to rule out a candidate radio.... So,
the E100 is likely fairly unique. The among things that have been
on the market for a while. The new E1100 hasn't ben tested or
evaluated for inclusion in list of Ultralights. It doesn't have
direct 10-pushbutton frequency entry, but may be quite similar,
otherwise. I hope so. It retails for just $60 as opposed to the
$100 pricetag for the E100.

At 01:30 PM 4/26/2008 -0400, you wrote:

John,

Given the dwindling supply, are there any "equivalent" current
Grundig/Tecsun models that might also be contenders for this
class of radio?

Brett Saylor

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM, John H. Bryant
<<mailto:bjohnorcas@...> bjohnorcas@...> wrote:
I should also mention that an E100 just went for $46.00 Friday
night
on ebay (to one of us, I hope) and there are several others
available
on the auction site, too. If I remember, they start at a slightly
higher price, but still at a real discount from suggested retail
price. This wonderful little radio has been discontinued by Eton,
so
if you think that you would like to have one, NOW IS THE TIME