Re: Has anyone used a component tuner for AM DXing?

josephrot

Rick...

Are we "older timers" geeks / SWL / DX'ers bringing back the "golden years" ...

Back in my hometown of Tucson, the 1960's to about 1987, I had the all-tube Hallicrafters SX-96B comm receiver, was a gem for AM and SW use. I ran it's audio through a 25W or so stereo amp as mono feeding both channels -- I must have thought that was the cat's meow back then as far as DX audio "massage" went...

When I established my then services audio shop (1969), I "inherited" a HH Scott tube receiver with actual bandwidth control and a "finer than coarse" "slow" vernier-like tuning capacity as part of the rather long horizontal frequency scale.

I remember that a Scott engineer told me it was a very limited-run model above the venerable 340 and was a model named "Laboratory Engineer Grade" or similar between the 340 and the 349 solid-state, but very few were produced, and fewer sold. It looked like "a Scott 340 on steroids" had a TRF and a triple IF filter that the front panel control "narrow", "medium" and "wide" and I remember that the SX-96 had nothing on it as far as capturing excellent AM DX. And it sounded superb to my ears as well.

OH, and I still had some 78 RPM oldies that my maternal grandmother passed down to my mom and then to me. And it was all before a strange "audio delight" called the 8 track was invented...and today my nieces and nephew refuse to believe we actually used such a thing in what they term "that last century that you lived in."

Hey, I am only a sprightly 64...come on kids, give me a break...

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA