Re: Has anyone used a component tuner for AM DXing?

Russ Edmunds

The biggest problem I've encountered is that the tuners I've used are broad as can be. I haven't tried to modify
any of them with narrower filters -- if such are available. But one thing I've learned from putting narrower FM IF filters
into Sony 2010's is that just putting in narrower filters may not be enough as that doesn't make the same difference
that it does on FM on a tuner. Bottom line, you might have to make more modifications.

Back in the day, I used a Fisher tube-type tuner for both AM & FM DX, which seemed to do better in terms of adjacent
 channel selectivity but we didn't have any AM IBOC to deal with.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM, n3ikq@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Hi, A little off topic but has anyone used a component tuner from a "high end" company like NAD, Denon etc. for at home DXing? Their open design would make them easy to modify. Their would probably be enough room to add a little audio amp and speaker inside the case for a stand alone radio. Any thoughts, experiences or links? Thanks for your time! Rick