Re: New Eton Traveller III-- An Ultralight Radio After All

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

It's great that the Eton Traveller III meets the Ultralights size requirements!

However... I hope you have better luck with the radio's performance than I did. A couple of months ago I bought one from Radio Shack online, for $38. I liked the build quality overall, but medium wave and shortwave performance was nearly unusable. Most frequencies were covered with a digital hash that made program listening unenjoyable at best, and DXing impossible at worst. For instance, Seattle's 630 kHz KCIS broadcaster is heard moderately strong, but definitely well above "DX level" here where we live in Puyallup. However, the digital noise was so bad on the Traveller III that it nearly made intelligible reception impossible.

The noise was equally bad from top to bottom of the band. In side by side tests with other portables, reception with the Traveller III was always in a distant last place due to its circuit noise. It's certainly not a noise problem picked up by the antenna... I eliminated that possibility early on.

Fortunately, online purchases from Radio Shack are returnable at local stores, so I was able to get a refund quickly.

I trust my experience was just a case of getting a lemon, and hopefully you will find the Eton Traveller III to be a worthy Ultralight competitor!

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA