Re: Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 1-1

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

It's great that you could ring in the new year with TP DX on the modified Skywave radio!

Question for you-- what type of epoxy do you use when joining the orange plastic loopstick support to the radio's case? Do you use so-called putty epoxy (2 parts, sort of like clay to begin with), or standard 2-part epoxy that is in liquid form before it hardens?

Also, were you able to preserve the whip antenna on the Skywave, or did you remove it to have less metal in the near field of the 7.5" Amidon antenna's reception?

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

---In ultralightdx@..., <D1028Gary@...> wrote :

Hello All,

There was some pretty good high band TP propagation this morning, but I doubt that very many DXers were around to enjoy it :-) Maybe Nick had his recorder going?

I had just finished violating my first radio warranty of the New Year by making the second 7.5" loopstick C.Crane Skywave model when I checked out the band (for kicks) around 1430, and found 1566-HLAZ with pretty strong Christian music. It soon faded, but 1593-CNR1 took its place with similar signals around 1500. Since the outside temperature was 21 degrees the decision was made to DX indoors, and the new CC Skywave model was given its first TP-DXing test (with a slight boost from a 15" FSL antenna). The newly hot-rodded model pulled in 1566-HLAZ (fair, at 1510), 1575-VOA (poor to fair, at 1515) and 1593-CNR1 (good signals in and out, at 1535). Nick has always said that good signals might show up next year-- and now that the next year is here, so are some good signals.

1593  CNR1   Changzhou, China   Chinese male and female speech at good level in and out around 1535

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
7.5" loopstick C.Crane Skywave Ultralight
+ 15" FSL Antenna (DXing indoors)