Re: C.Crane Skywave Ultralight Radio-- First Impressions on MW

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

Here is a link to the ER-C57WR's owner's manual:

It appears that this radio indeed has the AIR band (but now WX), as well as some preset R. Nikkei frequencies. I see mentions of an "AM BW" too, but I couldn't spot a listing of the bandwidths.

73 from your cross-town buddy,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

---In ultralightdx@..., <D1028Gary@...> wrote :

Hello Rommel,

Thanks for the information on your ELPA ER-C57WR, which does indeed look very much like the new C.Crane Skywave portable.

If you look closely at the photo in the Amazon Japan listing for the ER-C57WR posted at http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AB%E3%83%91-ELPA-%E3%83%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%89%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B8%E3%82%AA-%E6%9C%9D%E6%97%A5%E9%9B%BB%E5%99%A8-ER-C57WR/dp/B00O0Q9H4K  (5,780 Yen) , however, you will notice that the model lacks the "WX-SW-AIR" pushbutton that the "Skywave" model has (under the Band Width pushbutton, at the lower right of the front cabinet), indicating that the ER-C57WR does not have the Weather Band or Air Band coverage provided by the C.Crane "Skywave" model.

But of course, this opens up another very interesting question-- does the ER-C57WR model have the same excellent MW band performance of the Skywave model? If it has a DSP chip which deletes WX and Air Band coverage but provides the same innovative MW band improvements (over the Si4734 chip) as the Skywave model provides, the ELPA model might be useful to North American MW-Band DXers as a lower-cost alternative to the C.Crane Skywave model (assuming that an exporter in Japan can offer them with reasonable shipping charges). My own impression of the Skywave model is that although it really does provide breakthrough MW-Band performance in the Ultralight radio class, the $89.95 cost (before shipping) will be a deal-breaker for many DXers who might otherwise be interested in it.

73 and Thanks,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)