From: Robert Ross va3sw@... [ultralightdx]
To: Ultralight List
Cc: dlpotter
Sent: Tue, Dec 2, 2014 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Ultralight quality control: Sangean DT-400W

On 2014-12-02, at 11:44 AM, David Potter dlpotter@... [ultralightdx]
wrote:

> Many thanks for the feedback on the DT-400W, Stephen.
>
> I realize that it is a great Ultralight and there are certainly a number of
very positive reviews to support that viewpoint - going back to the 2008/2009
Ultralight Shootouts (see the group Files section).  As a non-DSP Ultralight,
out of the current models it would appear only second to the iconic (and
pricier) Sony SRF-T615.

> I have seen reports of the issue with the volume control that occur with some
units, including (as per some reviews on Amazon) failure of the volume control
itself.  So between that and the display reports, I thought that I would throw
the question out.  These problems would seem to be isolated, but worth noting.

> It's useful to get a feel on all Ultralight radios in general - both on older
units to see what issues occur over time and on more recent production units, to
help those Ultralighters (like me) that are tempted to add another one to the
shack.  It's always good to be an informed consumer.

> 73
>
> David

David:

   I have a SANGEAN DT-400 Ultralight….and pretty much all of the ULR's that are
worth owning. At one point I had 24 ULRs at the heyday of my ULR Career!!!!

As for the DT-400…I love it!! If the Sony SRF-T615 had never been invented…I
think the DT-400 may well have been my ULR of choice for serious DXing. The
Tecsuns are great too…but I really like the DT-400's ease of operation. It is
simple to use and the ergonomics are nice!! It reminds me of the Old 1950's/60's
Pocket Transistors I used to collect. You don't wanna know how many of those I
had…but well over 500, including several SONY TR-63's which was SONY's first
true "Pocket" Transistor in 1957. They did make a few Transistor Radios before
the TR-63…but those were more of a COAT POCKET RADIO than a Shirt Pocket Radio!!

Anyway…I don't think you can go wrong with a DT-400…I bought mine when they
first came out and I would not sell it……

Would I chose it over the T615…..No way. I have 4 - T615's…2 currently in
action, and 2 New In Box sitting at the ready should I need them.

For me….The DT-400 is a Nice Little Radio……….The T615 is the King in my
Opinion…… unless of course you live in Newfoundland, then you can use any ULR
and hear the world!! HAHAHHHA……

73…ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA