Grayland, WA Ultralight TP's for 11-10

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

The propagation deep freeze on the Grayland beach let up somewhat this morning-- to be replaced by the arctic deep freeze moving in from Canada. While some moderately interesting DX showed up on frequencies like 846, 864 and 873, the 37 degree ocean beach temperature and 15 mph wind chill was anything but moderate. After yesterday's clunker session I was highly motivated to track down some good DX on this last day of the trip, and made every effort to hit the cold beach very early at 1030 UTC (0330 local time)-- a big mistake. The wind chill's punishment increases by the hour, and Asian signals can propagate for a very long time on ocean beaches.

After yesterday's solar-challenged session the Asians at least made a halfhearted recovery, although most of the TP signals were nowhere near their Saturday levels. The Japanese and Korean big guns were potent as usual on the ocean coast, but the second-tier Asians on 558, 603 and 657 had trouble managing any real energy. Checking the band for any special propagation trend was tricky in the subfreezing wind chill, but it certainly seemed like the middle and high band had the edge over the low band, with the Japanese and Koreans doing better than the Chinese. 864-HLKR was mixing with an apparent Japanese station at 1347 (one of the 7 listed), but nailed down the frequency in a big way by 1527, pounding in with good strength. 873-JOGB had an apparent mix with a Chinese station just before the 1300 TOH, and 846 had a mystery station at a fair level around 1353 (sounded Japanese). The major challenge after 2 hours on the beach was not tracking down exotic Asian DX, but tracking down some warmth from the car heater (to thaw out stiff fingers and toes). The Asian propagation was nothing to shout about, but a moderate sunrise enhancement boost around 1500 did prolong their pedestrian signals long enough to make me deeply regret having ever shown up to face the bitter wind chill as early as 0330 local time. After four and a half hours my frozen ICF-2010 spotting receiver's frequency readout went on the blink, and my PL-380's battery display showed empty (although the radio had fresh batteries installed, right before the session). The frozen radio breakdowns gave me a convenient excuse to finally retreat from the frigid beach without feeling guilty about wasting valuable ocean beach DXing time (and the $65 a night I was paying for the Grayland Motel's luxuriant Room 11).

864  HLKR   Gangneung, S. Korea   Strong Korean male speech overcoming some Portland splatter at 1527

864  HLKR mix   Vibrant mix of an apparent Japanese station (with talk) fighting it out with HLKR's music at 1347

873  China + JOGB mix   Another S9 frequency fight between an UnID Chinese station and NHK2's JOGB, with JOGB taking over the frequency with its 3 + 1 time pips and English lessons at 1300

1566  HLAZ   Jeju, S. Korea   Not every Asian signal suffers when a propagation drop off occurs on the ocean coast--  HLAZ seems to have total immunity

1593  CNR1   Changzhou, China   Fair to good male Chinese speech at 1440

1593  CNR1 + NHK2 mix   These stations were fighting it out for most of the morning. It sounds like two Chinese stations, but only because the NHK2 synchros were broadcasting Chinese lessons at 1445

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at the Grayland, WA ocean beach this morning; now back in Puyallup-- almost thawed out)
7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight +
17" DXpedition FSL antenna