Re: Antenna Ethics

Gary DeBock

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you again!

<<<   For example, an FSL is relatively mechanically complex, is ultra-heavy (in terms of mass), but occupies a relatively small amount of space.   An air core loop is bigger, more mechanically simple and potentially low-mass.
A longwire is very simple and can be extremely light depending on dimensions and material choice.  A BOG could be simpler still.  However, we are then getting into the realms of traveling wave antennas which I get the feeling is considered "unsporting" in the world of ULDX. More simply:  are simple, big wire antennas not appropriate?  What about complexity - is an FSL not UL because of its lack of simplicity?

I know these are very subjective questions - I welcome all opinions.   >>>

Well, I'm sure that there are many different opinions about this, Dave, but as far as the Ultralight Radio group rules that we have followed since early 2008, ANY type of external antenna used with an Ultralight Radio is acceptable for the Ultralight Radio Awards program, although such receptions would be in the "Unlimited Antenna" category. Receptions with stock, unmodified Ultralight Radios would be in the "Barefoot Antenna" category. Obviously, if someone goes to the trouble to lay a 1000m BOG (or for that matter, construct a 1m diameter FSL, if he happens to own a bank) he will have a serious DXing edge over everyone else-- but he will still be using Ultrtalight Radios, with their lack of SSB reception, limited filtering, and single-frequency reception.

Actually, DXing with an Ultralight Radio and a large FSL antenna on the ocean coast does have some advantages over using a Perseus-SDR and a long BOG. You can set up your antenna in under 2 minutes, even at the narrowest of ocean side cliffs. And when nasty weather knocks out your radio, you are only out about $50, instead of over $1000 :-)

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX
(DXing at Grayland, WA)

-----Original Message-----
To: ultralightdx
Sent: Sun, Nov 9, 2014 10:19 am
Subject: [ultralightdx] Antenna Ethics

Hello All,

Its that time of year again - the trout season is over and the low bands are calling.

I'm wondering how big /  complex you can go with an UL antenna and it still be considered as UL?

For example, an FSL is relatively mechanically complex, is ultra-heavy (in terms of mass), but occupies a relatively small amount of space.

An air core loop is bigger, more mechanically simple and potentially low-mass.

A longwire is very simple and can be extremely light depending on dimensions and material choice.  A BOG could be simpler still.  However, we are then getting into the realms of traveling wave antennas which I get the feeling is considered "unsporting" in the world of ULDX.

More simply:  are simple, big wire antennas not appropriate?  What about complexity - is an FSL not UL because of its lack of simplicity?

I know these are very subjective questions - I welcome all opinions.

vy 73 de Dave M0MYA.

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.