From: "Guy Atkins dx@... [ultralightdx]"
To: ultralightdx@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:24 PM
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: which receiver?

Hi Phil,

In the discussion about small receivers, I saw your comment about needing a broadcast band filter.

I have used the Kiwa BCB filter (both regular & premium models) before, as well as custom made  filters from W1VLF (www.rescueelectronics.com). Clifton Laboratories is another source. All of these filters can be pricey, though.

I was happy to recently find a nice 9th-order 1.8 MHz high pass filter kit (BCB filter) from an Australian vendor at a good price. It should be arriving this week and I look forward to building it. Here is the link and info:

I chose the basic kit of components, which is about $17.00 USD. Airmail shipping was reasonable too, at $8.00 USD, and they confirmed shipment VERY fast. Rather than get the recommended Hammond 1550Q enclosure from MiniKits, I ordered one stateside from Mouser Electronics for $5.22 plus shipping. I already have some BNC female chassis mount connectors on hand.

So, if you are handy with DIY construction you can save some $$$ and build your own BCB filter from the MiniKits source.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA