DXers Barbecue in Puyallup, WA

Guy Atkins

This past Sunday, Sept. 7th was a sunny and warm day in the Seattle area, with just a hint of fall in the air. The afternoon was all the more enjoyable for me as five other DXers came by my home for a "DX BBQ" afternoon of swapping DX tales and equipment discussion. We also had the opportunity to demo or show off a variety of new and/or interesting radio related items.

Attending were: Phil Bytheway and Chuck Hutton from Seattle; Nick Hall-Patch from Victoria, BC; Dave Aichelman of Prescott Valley, Arizona, and Gary DeBock and myself from Puyallup, WA. Nick's travel to arrive at my home and return the next day was as varied and interesting as Nick himself: he journeyed by a combination of bus, plane, car, train, and ship (catamaran passenger ferry)!!

Going from memory, the radios, antennas, and accessories on display included:
  • Afedri SDR-Net Dual Channel SDR receiver
  • Afedri SDR-Net single channel SDR receiver
  • Elad FDM-S2 SDR receiver
  • Elecraft KX3 transceiver
  • Sony ICF-2010 with 24-inch(?) ferrite loop
  • Tecsun PL-380 with 7-inch Amidon loop
  • C. Crane CCRadio-2E portable
  • Dave's nifty "Micro Tent-Pole Loop Antenna" setup
  • Chinese made "Miracle Whip QRP portable antenna" clone (actually very high quality)
  • 12-inch diameter DeBock Ferrite Sleeve Loop (FSL) antenna
  • 17-inch diameter, 38 lb DeBock FSL antenna (representing a sizable contribution to the economy of the Republic of Ukraine)
  • Radio Plus Quantum loop V3 antenna
  • Wellbrook ALA1530N loop antenna
You can check out three photos from the gathering here:

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA